Good Morning Viet Nam

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

All Revved Up With No Place To Go

Got the "You're free to roam Bangkok" statement from the doc today in my 6:50A wake up call. Needless to say, I was disturbed from a deep slumber and wasn't processing everything at my normal speed. My reply made him think that I wasn't ready to blow this joint, and thus he added that I could leave tomorrow if I wanted. As I went back to sleep, I was almost certain that I would need a whole day to prep and enjoy my final moments at the Hospital Hilton. I clearly just wasn't awake yet. So it's now 10:45A and all of my bags, so glad that I am back down to the one pack I originally came here with!, are packed but I am still being held prisoner here in the mall area. Am now waiting to hear back from my insurance, as my actual bill exceeds the estimated amount. Hopefully I can meander my way to Khao San Rd sometime this afternoon. But in the meantime, what better way to pass the time than blog?!

When I enquired as to what my phone bill came to, I am happy to report that I didn't even bat an eyelash when I figured that my personal expenses are 1/14th of my total hospital bill. Personal expenses entail phone and net. I am guessing that my insurance will not cover that portion of the bill, as in their fax they said they would be covering only medical expenses, but it can't hurt to try. Perhaps whoever receives my fax will be in a really good mood and decide that I am worth it. But regardless, I cannot tell you how much each of my conversations with you all meant to me. PRICELESS! Who wouldn't take full advantage of a quick, easy, clear phone connection that makes friends and family seem so much closer than they really are?!

Everyone on the 9th floor is sad to see me go. It's very touching. Even the woman who always brings in my hospital food tray was sad to learn that this was my final meal. I truly have been blessed with the most wonderful nurses, doctors, and staff here and can't thank them enough.

Have run out of things to report. No I haven't. Booked all of my tickets last night and it's definetly a go for Saturday. Forgot that Easter was this Sunday, and that being a very big travel day, but luckily got one of the last 3 spots on Southwest's N/S flight from LA landing me in KC at 7:30P.

While actually getting back to KC was relatively a painless process to book, and hopefully the 20 hour journey will be equally so, moving back into my aparment is not so. Just heard from my landlord today that I will have to sign another 6 or 12 month lease, even though there are still 3 months left on my lease, to move back into my apartment that is no longer mine. Argh! So frustrating that they have covered their bases so well. But alas, 6 months puts me out of the Locarno in September, and summer is the best time to be on the Plaza. Always a drama....

Okay, have really run out of things to report. Am signing off, but will check in before I leave BKK Friday afternoon! Swasdee Ka.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home