Good Morning Viet Nam

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Rise and Debride

It's a good thing that Wut was in the room, and I was in a good mood, when the surgeon came in and told me that I would be staying in paradise for one more week. That was before the surgery. All things considered, I took the news pretty well, as well as I could. Didn't burst into tears, just went to sleep.

Upon my 6am wake up call by the nurse, she asked me to shower before my surgery. I assured her I would and then proceeded to roll over and go back to sleep. "That crazy blondle falang!" she tittered, in Thai, to her coworker who was also in my suite, "What are we going to do with her?!".

Surgery went well, so I am told, and was pretty quick. I remember being pretty cold when my eyes got too heavy to keep open at 7:35A and the next thing I knew I woke up in layers of warm blankets at 8:45A. After waking up, I, again, rolled over and went back to sleep. I can't get enough of that here and it serves as a great way to pass the time.

Speaking of passing the time, Bruce has definetly done his research and informed me that the hospital offers all kind of plastic surgery "packages" that I can take advantage of this week. Now the question is, what will I enhance first?!

That's really all I have to report from base camp. Some of you have requested a definition of debridement, and, as I understand it, it is when the doctors clean out a really deep wound of dirt, debris, and bacteria. In my case, I still had some bacteria, from the water, in there along with some other things. Wut has taken some photos and he is trying to send them to me so I can pass them along to my fans. They are pretty classic. He even got some shots of my wound. It's pretty wierd to see a photo of me smiling, as I am completely pain free, with a large, grotesque, unclosed wound on my arm. That photo was taken before I snuck another peak of the wound, as I honestly believed Wut when he said it wasn't bad now, but still got grossed out. The only time I am not smiling in the photos is when the nurse is actually cleaning the wound. That still isn't fun.

Off to shower before I make some calls during another 4-hour IV session. Only 2 more days, which converts into 16 hours, the countdown has begun! Then I begin oral antibiotics and they stitch me up. Love talking to you all, but do request that when we connect, you don't ask silly questions such as why I didn't see the wooden plank that was in the water. What's done is done, and the main thing is that I am now safe and sound and in excellent hands. My love to you all! Happy St. Patrick's Day!