Good Morning Viet Nam

Monday, December 13, 2004

Ho Ho Hanoi

I know it is a little early for Santa, but it makes a great title. So yes, I'm back on the blog and inspired to write about my adventures! Have been hanging out in Hanoi for a week wondering how to go about the daunting task of actually putting my experience into words. We'll see how it goes. Think I will have a lot of posts as opposed to one ginormous one. Don't want to put any of you to sleep on this Monday morning. And I can't promise that these are going to be in chronological order, I usually am not inspired that way. So don't bother trying to keep it all straight. Just enjoy....

Um right, so Hanoi is a nice change from Saigon. But oddly enough I found myself truly missing the chaos and vibrant life of the Southerners. Sure there are lots of beautiful parks and lakes here and it's cleaner, quieter, and overall more livable here, but I miss the cyclo drivers camping out on the sidewalk! I also miss smiling and laughing. The people are more reserved here and don't burst into smiles when I flash them my pearly whites. But I think I might be warming up to them, or them to me. The natives are probably not used to some quasi-blonde (yes, my highlights are growing out and I look like a frosted cupcake, but colleagues have told me that it looks natural) Western woman who always seems to be smiling for some reason.

But I think I can hack it here in Hanoi. The first couple of days I wasn't too sure, but now that I am unpacked, I can see settling in Hanoi for a month or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home