Good Morning Viet Nam

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Nudity

Yo people! Happy Halloween! Hope everyone celebrates in style with some killer costumes! I'm donning a killer costume that all the natives and expats dig because it is so damn hot here, me in the buck. Okay fine, I'm not sitting here naked in the internet cafe due to the heat, but rather due to the fact that I have no more clean clothes. Someone remind me why I only brought 6 pairs of underwear? Mel, I should have listened to your sound advice more closely. But no worries, my nakedness will not last for long as I just went to the market yesterday and am getting some shirts made. Was kind of overwhelmed by the whle process, so many fabrics and styles to choose from, but hopefully this will be the beginning of a great new investment! Always looking for those.

My first week has definetly been one of adjustment. But now that I have finally recovered from jet lag, although I still wake up each morning around 5am!, I will give you a synoposis of my adventure thus far. Let's start out with what I dig about Saigon...

Riding on the back of a motorbike. There is nothing like it! Its the only way to experienceSaigon. Have made a friend with a bike, Yemi, and we have ridden around loads. I find it is the only time in the city when I feel completely relaxed and carefree. I feel really safe and invincible on the back of her bike, even though the last time we went for a ride we came inches away from getting creamed by a bus.

I like the fact that there is a very high potential to get run over by a motorbike when you are crossing the street. So much better than a cup of coffee in the morning to get your senses going. As you all know, I am up for any challenge to prove myself. And this is definetly one of the scarier ones I've attempted. But so far so good.

There is nothing like feeling the film of smog and dirt on your face all day long.

I have a entirely new appreciation for anything clean. What is clean anymore?

My class is a great mixture of assorted fruits and nuts. Everyone is very nice and we all get along very well. Have gone out with a couple friends from New York, Matt and Carrie, after hours every night. Beer is beginning to taste like water to me. That's all Idrink here. I thought I was going to lose weight on this trip! Maybe I will just go on Atkins. I don't know what I would be able to eat here, even tofu has carbs. Crap, I guess I will actually have to exercise. The easiest thing to do would be to run, but that is so overrated and I only do that when chased.

That is what is driving me crazy, the lack of physical exercise. It is so deceiving here because I sweat so much that it makes me think I am getting a really good workout. But just sitting outside with friends in complete denial that it is so damn hot doesn't quite use up enough calories. Carrie and I are going to try to find a yoga studio this week. So that will be good.

Like Saigon, but don't forsee myself staying here beyond the month. While the smog along with the strong possibility of losing my life as I cross every street is very stimulating, I find it too stimulating. Everything here is in your face and in fast forward mode. Haven't really had any time to process or plan ahead. But I am making the most of my time here. Last night we went to a pagoda and had an awesome view of the city. And today am going to go on a bike tour of the city as well as a few museums.

Better run, the police are actually wanting to enforce the law over here. Guess communist rule is not down with nudity. Off to do laundry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home