Good Morning Viet Nam

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Wok N' Roll, Dude!

That's right, I've actually tried to improve my quasi-existent cooking skills here in Pai. All I have to say is thank goodness for the Junior League Dinner Club that has shown me the way to cook and serve my guests properly! Without that I would truely be a helpless cause with non-existent skills. Back to the Wok, um yeah, it was interesting. A fun-filled day complete with a trip to the market and lunch and dinner prepared with love by me and my fellow classmates. However, true to form of me in the kitchen, it didn't take long for me to get too overwhelmed and almost cause a scene. There were only 3 students along with Tee, the laidback chef. Lots of opportunity for some quality 1-on-1 instruction, dug that. Oh, and then there was also his not-so-laidback Austrian girlfriend, Lisa, who gave me a little too much 1-on-1 attention, didn't dig that. That was definetly a contributing factor to my overwhelmed state, but not the sole factor. I simply forgot that I am not a detail-person, and there are so many details in these recipes. Not really, but for a complete novice like me it seemed that way. Don't even bother letting me know if you have only cooked pad thai, or an even more complicated dish, only once and it took you a mere 10 minutes! Congrats. With time I will improve, but I have already resolved that, while I have a whole recipe book full of exciting Thai recipes that are "easy" to make and I know I could master after only a few dozen test runs, I will be enjoying restuarantstyle Thai food. The only exception would be that the JL Dinner Club assigns me that dish. Okay, fine. I am being a bit dramatic. On the positive side we had some EXCELLENT pad thai, tam yum, and green, red, and yellow curries. And yummy food attracts more cool travellers for Minty to meet. So more new friends from the West coast and some good blog material is all I need to have deemed it a fun day, even though my headache at the day's end didn't support that thought. I know if I can portage a 70 lb. canoe, then I can definetly master the wok. Manana, Manana.

1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi all itshotdamnhot.blogspot.com blogger discovered your website via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home