Good Morning Viet Nam

Monday, January 10, 2005

When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza PAI...

THAT'S AMORE!! Love the fact that I have no clue as to the artist of that song! But never the less it makes a great title! Yes, I am here in northern Thailand in a darling bamboo bungalow infested village in the mountains and absolutely LOVE IT HERE! I've just sent off the last of my SF travelling crew and am officially on my own.

So what's so great about Pai? Everything! This is the first place I have been where I am not anxious. But are we surpised? Hardly, nature is totally my element. There are loads of savvy western travellers here and making friends hasn't been hard at all. And one can be as active, or inactive as their heart desires. They have everything from bamboo rafting to elephant trekking. The only adventure I have done, as of yet, is elephant trekking. Went with Dav and Mie and had so much fun. The highlight was swimming with the phant. We tried to stay on her back, but just when we were balanced she would toss us off. The new era of bull riding has come. I also have the option of taking a cooking, weaving, massage, or meditation class should I be inspired.

And what have I done with my time here in Pai, other than trek on the phant? Absolutely nothing. Okay, so maybe I haven't been a total slug. I have been to yoga, and enjoy it even though the instructor is certifiably crazy, and the spa, that's a shocker!, I've exercised my wit and helped my team get last place in a fierce trivial pursuit competition, and I've been entertained by breakdancing flame throwers who can't breakdance nor flame throw at a village party. But all of those fun times transpired before Dav and Mie flew the coop.

The fun times have continued, just a little more subdued. Have moved into a great little bamboo bungalow right on the river. It's a basic 4x5 foot hut on stilts with a porch and hammock. Am totally digging listening to the river while reading in the hammock. Life doesn't get any better. Or does it? They do have a school here where the English teachers are all Thai. A perfect opportunity for a novice native speaker. The wheels are turning. That's me from the other side of the globe. Wishing you all were here!

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you! sounds like you are having a fabulous time... enjoy this time of the year in thailand- it's all about ice storms here. take care of yourself in your hut w/ your books- sounds like you may have found your stomping grounds, eh?! -Heather C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home